Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 5 South America : Jiu Jitsu

Yesterday was a bit better then the day before but I was still a bit stressed from the heat stroke mostly ;) yeah it was rough I woke up and my muscles were all tight and I decided to eat a sandwich for breakfast which I still can't consider being breakfast ... Not many Canadians here or I guess there would be some greasy spoons LOL !

When the other guys woke up we had no plans and opted to go check out the mall which is apparently one of the biggest down south . It was pretty big but as Timo said "it is a woman's world " which was true . We wanted to have a good coffee so we went and found Starbucks . There is no cream for coffee here like I have back home so it was a bit different yet still better then the jail coffee they have at the hotel . Don't get me wrong the hotel we ate staying at gave us a great deal and is in a great location as we are mostly surrounded by locals not tourists ... No offense but I am not interested in being with a bunch of other Canadians or Americans as I can do that at home .

At the mall Timo and myself were looking for some football jerseys but they were quite pricey so we opted for some tshirts and I bought a magnet for a friend then our super host Ge' picked us up and took us to eat and man did we ever eat ! It was this place called Barra Grill ! Unbelievable it was a meat massacre ... I personally have not ate so much meat in one sitting before , the servers lined up at our table forcing more and more beef on us and we all loved it , I even tried chicken heart and to be honest I kinda liked it ... If I knew what it was I might not have tried it as the idea of eating a chicken heart sounds gross !!! Gotta thank Timo as he covered our bill which was not cheap at all ;)

After that we went to Gordos Jiu Jitsu gym . Gordo is a former world champion and has trained many UFC fighters and is also friends with Ge' ! I totally enjoyed watching all his students warm up and begin training and was even offered to come try it on Sunday ... Unfortunately I will be in another city by then as I would have done it . His class was packed and he told us there are many students that come from around the world to train with him , there was a guy from Malaysia and from England in his class ... Everyone is so serious about this martial art and it was a very cool experience to see this all first hand .

Then it was time for some drinks and we planned to go to Ipanema but got side tracked and met with Pedrinho who is this really nice guy that plays hockey here . Things were a bit slow as it is a Tuesday and the area we were in was a bit too pretentious for me so I decided to go back to hotel . I was pretty much out of place as I was not wearing a suit and I was tired but would still like to thank Pedrinho for meeting up and having a few beers with us  . As I have said before ... The people I have met here ate all awesome and I am hoping to see them all again in the future ... Time to get ready to go try redoing that tour which ended up being a disaster the other day . Sun is out and I am pretty positive that it will be amazing ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment