Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 12 South America : TV Interview

Still behind on my posts :( it has been a whirlwind of events since we have arrived here in Punta Arenas . On this day we woke up had breakfast and had our rooms changed ? But it was for the better as from this point I have my own room ... Not sure how that worked out ? So when this was all happening I asked if one of our team mates had a room here as I was told we had 3 rooms , 2 singles and a double ... And this certain team mate was not on the list of players with a room here , so who is it? All I found out was that Phillip was not staying here as he could not confirm when we booked the room . He was old on many occasions to contact the tournament organizer as I was already too busy to do any more bookings . I did what I had to do months ago and had no time to waste on last second adjustments on anyone else .

Timo and myself then went out for a stroll to check out the city , we were both pretty hungover ;) the night before was a good drinking night with Los Nordicos , the local club that are hosting us here ! As I said our days are pretty busy and on this day we found out that all the hype over us coming here was real ! In the town square we quickly realized that this city has a small town feeling with people saying hi to each other everywhere and to be honest it is quite comfy being here in these surroundings .

Alejandro told us our driver would pick us up in the early evening to go to the tv station for an interview . So Timo , Andi , Tyler and myself met up in our hotel lobby to meet our driver . We were taken to the local tv/radio station where we were greeted with open arms ;) as I said everyone here is very friendly and happy to have us here . We are being treated like celebrities . I think we were on air for about 15 minutes with each of us being asked a question or 2 then we were whisked to the rink ! This time it was supposed to be a skate with kids but there are not so many kids playing here ...yet ! The goal for me is to help get hockey going here and two main objectives is to get more people interested in playing the game and hopefully help them get a new arena . The one they have now is nice but is only for 3 on 3 hockey . A bigger surface would be amazing !

Right before I left Phillip showed up at our hotel with the idea that he was staying here ??? Guess he never spoke to Alejandro as I had told him about 30 times ! He was with my good friends from Ushuaia that had all arrived that night . I broke the bad news to him but had to take off ,this kinda stressed me out but all ended up well in the end after I put in a word for him with Alejandro . I am not a big fan of last second changes or working for free . By this I mean it is not my job to book rooms for people ! No offense to anyone don't take it personal , I am supposed to be on vacation and the stress of breaking bad news to anyone that had not taken my advice is really not my cup of tea .

At the rink I also found out I had to dress in full gear which I was not expecting to do as I was in the mindset that it was children I was to skate with instead it turned into a training session for my friends here . I will do whatever  I have to do to help , after all that is why I am here ! So I got into gear and skated with the guys and the kids at the same time , most of all I was happy to see the kids smiling and enjoying themselves . It was worth getting dressed just for that reason . After the game Timo and myself handed out lapel pins and patches to the kids and to the big kids too LOL .

We were pretty tired after and just headed up to the Sky Bar here in our hotel to eat and call it a night . As usual the language barrier and lack of English menus had us ordering a side plate of fries to only find out our meals came with fries ;) would have been nice if our lazy ass waitress could have warned us ... I guess she doesn't know that we are celebroties here hahaha ! We gobbled up everything anyway and called it a night .,. Tomorrow is the tournament opener and we want to win .... Stay tuned ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment