Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 13 South America : Televised Game

On this day we were a part of history ... But first we were to meet the mayor . At 10:20 am only thing is he was busy and we had to go to rink earlier now :( so instead Timo and myself went for a sports massage ... No there was no happy ending ! I love and miss my girlfriend and would not even consider doing this . We went down for our appointment and it was very relaxing ... So relaxing that I passed out on the table LOL . After I headed to my room for a quick nap . It wasn't enough as I was way too tired to wake up .

When I got up I pumped some music and got my energy going and was seriously focused on winning . Our driver got us and we headed to the ink for opening ceremonies :) we were fully dressed in gear more then an hour before game time .... They played national anthems had a dance display and of course there was a lot of media there ;) the game was televised live locally and was the first ever hockey game on tv in Chile . It was an absolute honour to be part of this, can't thank Alejandro enough he has done such an amazing job organizing this tournament and I am really glad I came down here for this .

The game we played was also my first crack at entering a Ghetto Blaster squad into an international tournament which is not the easiest thing to accomplish . Our first game was vs. C.A.U. ( Club Andino Ushuaia ) which is full of friends that visited me earlier this year in Toronto . It was great playing against them and they have it their all . We were keen to win also and jumped out to a 7-1 lead after first period . The game was a bit long with 20 minute periods . In the second period we let up a bit and they got a couple goals , I think it was like 11-3 after 2 periods . The 3rd was pretty much the same with us ending up winning 17-5 .

After the game I was grabbed aside to do a radio interview which was pretty cool .... Never had to do that before , I felt like a pro and only has kind words about our opponents ;) the stands were packed with a reported 600 spectators !!!! Most stuck around and we took dozens of pics with the fans it was and will probably be the highlight of my hockey career as I felt so amazing ! The atmosphere itself is worth coming to play here !!! If you are reading this and you think it is cool don't wait too long to book your trip here !!! It will be a yearly tournament which I am sure will only grow . I have never played in such a well organized tournament and doubt any other will top this .

The best part of he night was when we found out they announced that Zona Franca will build an Olympic size rink here !!! Our goal coming here was to help hockey grow and I am pretty sure it is working and I am very proud for our Chilean friends ! We went to Lomito's to eat and celebrate with Los Nordicos and caught some of the game on tv there. With beers in hand we all cheered when we saw each other on the tv . It was a bad decision to leave as we were tired and thought we could watch it at the hotel :( unfortunately that channel is not shown here at Hotel Dreams ... It's ok we will get copies before we leave hopefully ...

It's almost game time I should get ready to go to the rink soon ...

No comments:

Post a Comment