Pages

Monday, November 7, 2016

The journey to Bulgaria


Waking up at 4 am to catch a flight is always a tough task . But waking up after 2 days of straight drinking and a night of fireworks that just didn't seem to end .... Well that plain sucks but it's not the first time and surely not the last time I will put myself that I will put myself into this position . I don't suggest it but if you are as determined as I am then go for it :) 
I actually woke up before my alarm and jumped into the shower and was off to the airport . Didn't see Elaine but I did say my good-byes the night before and once again I am very happy that you offered me a place to stay over the last week . Thank you Elaine :) 


Jumped into my uber who was super polite and headed to BHX . First flight is with Lufthansa to Munich . Unfortunately I had to pay for my luggage :( hate that especially the fear treatment I received being told I have to pay for my bags , pay for overweight and pay for extra bag for my sticks !!! I said can't we just say they are skis since skis are bigger and heavier ? Nope ! I though I was gonna get done in hard core but then she said £75 which is what it is and at this point I'm not gonna argue . For some reason the people that end up working at BHX are always tight asses about this stuff ! When I told her that air canada doesn't charge for sticks she said they must not like makin money and I said that is the contrary as I spend more money with them then I would with any other airline for that simple fact ! Anyways I'm off ....


Got to Munich in one piece and didn't have to get my luggage for my 5.5 hour layover which I met my good friend Andi Tanzer during :) it's always nice when a friend is willing to come kill time with you isn't it ? So we met at the AirBrau for a beer an a schnitzel , unfortunately I couldn't handle the beer :( being so pickled I had the liver quivers and wasn't feeling up to par so I had a cola .... We were lucky to be at the airport on this day because some of the Bayern Munich players were on hand for an autograph signing session to coincide with the grand opening of their newly furnished club shop . Too bad I was to out of it still and when I put my hand out late to slap hands with Ribery I missed hahaha . Life goes on but it was a bit embarassing :p time doesn't stop for anyone and I had to get going but I'm so happy I got to see you Andi if it was just for a couple hours . As we both said who knows when or where we will meet again but we both know we will :) hope you won your game last night !!!! 


Next flight was to Sofia :) which I slept on for the better part of the flight and sobered up a bit . When I arrived I met up with Georgi Ivanov aka Tatte or Pappa in English . He had sweets and water on hand which was much appreciated :) those chocolate covered figs were fantastic but we all know I'm here for the hockey not the sweets :p Tate took me to my hotel for the next few days called Hostel Elena but it's not a hostel .... I have my own room with 2 single beds which is all I really need :) not too fancy and dirt cheap ! After dropping my bag off we went to the Slavia Ice Rink to drop my gear and watch the Bulgarian National Women's team practise and I put my gear in the Ice Devils dressing room . Teams have their own dressing rooms here not like home where we just have them for our ice time . Here the room is yours , decorate and do as you please .... 


After the women skated there was an amateur league game . 20 minute run time periods x 3 . The game on hand was NSA vs. Dinamo who went on to win 6-1 . We hung out in the time keepers box and yes I started drinking beer lol . It's hard to say no when you land in a new country and people are offering beer :) the beer here is dirt cheap !!!! 2 litre bottle is 2.50 Levs which is just over a dollar .... Wow ! 


The Slavia Ice Rink is old and has the old communist feel to it as does most of what I've seen here thus far . I personally like it . Gotta love those old barns and this place is beat up in all the right places with dinged up old boards and a leaky roof to boot . I mean it would be nice if someone fixed this place up but it wouldn't be the same . Sounds like I'm on the ice for 3 hours a day here and I should get some rest . Tate took me to a shop with a bank machine and I bout some cheese ,bread and meat to bring back to my room which I have a fridge in for some much needed rest . Can't wait to see what Sofia has to offer in the daylight . 









No comments:

Post a Comment