Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Thank You ... Gotta Say It !


You know i really can't do these trips without some help ... whether it is someone else doing some organizing or someone giving me a bed to sleep on or someone just getting me on the ice ... regardless from the bottom of my heart i would like to thank those that deserve it . For the last few months i have been bugging a former national team goalie in South Africa named Gary Bock ! Gary organized everything for me that had to do with hockey . I have to admit that even when i landed i had my doubts thinking i was wasting my time there with no scheduled ice times but then you took the initiative and took me to the rink and introduced me to everyone .... they were all amazed to know there was a goalie there willing to help the kids ! I was more then happy to earn my 24th flag on my bag by offering my services for free :) Gary picked me up and took me around and showed me how to have a good time the South African way ...eating biltong,drinking brandy , etc ... :)


If it wasn't for Gary i would have never had the chance to meet Andre Marais and Marc Giot who are both coaches in the SAIHA ( South African Ice Hockey Association ) and if it wasn't for them i would have never had the opportunity to help at the U20 development camp . I really would love to thank the coaching staff for allowing me the chance to help their goalies . I never promised to make their goalies all stars i just offered to help them with some simple stuff and i honestly believe i helped all 6 goalies with their confidence and their positioning ... all of you are great goalies and really didn't need too much help and i am hoping to follow all of your careers because i have no doubt you will all get your chance to represent your country if you all stick to the program ! The SAIHA treated me amazingly and the parents of the kids are all very special people too as i noticed your hockey community down there is very tight knit . All the kids there are lucky to have
parents like this with passion to see you all excel . It was well worth waking up at disgusting hours to come out to see the parents waiting with a coffee for me or some water or just the big smiles as they were all happy to see someone travelling there to help their kids ... this is something i really really appreciated and i knew there was a special group when i came to watch the last game in the U20 tournament . It felt like home and you all helped make it feel that way . Showing up at the rink early , hanging with the coaches and genuinely having fun like a kid again . My time with you all was very special and i really want to thank the SAIHA , the coaches , the parents and especially the kids ! Thank you :)

Before i stop talking about South Africa and move onto the Spanish part of my trip i would like to thanks Ashley Bock for giving me his South African National jersey ! It was the one thing i really wanted and i got it thanks to you ... send me a message Ashley so we can organize something to send you , yes i remember you want a Red Wings jersey or anything Red Wings .... i will get that to you mate ! Also would love to thank your family for taking me in for a few days at the end of my stay . I know it is tough taking in a stranger especially when everyone is sick and feeling under the weather ... i still think your mom should go try out for Master Chef as she is a great cook and should follow her passion !!!! Just as we all have :) Also want to thank Dave & Carole in Durban for letting us stay there . They also took great care of us and i honestly wish i had more time to spend with them as they were a very interesting outgoing couple that made my stay more then comfortable with their beautiful house on the coast .... still can`t believe that place is not worth more then $1 million .... real estate their is unreal , especially compared to our prices in Toronto . Dave & Carole are Gary`s second cousins ( i think) but Gary refers to them as his Uncle & Aunt out of respect and i see why as they are very respectable and totally cool LOL ! Thanks to all of Gary`s family and friends ... especially the Springs Rugby Klub . You guys are freaks LOL , loved you all ! It was the most memorable night during my stay in SA . I hope you guys won the title yesterday .....


Off to Spain ... Really there is one guy to thank here ... you all know him if you have ever read my blog before .... Rainer Schmid . Yup the same guy i lost in England . Buddy thank you for organizing another crazy trip .  We lost you the first night and that was it . Rainer organized airport pickup , apartment for all 13 of us to stay in and our bus to and from Camp Nou . Yes Camp Nou where FC Barcelona plays , the rink is on their grounds . I know i was bitching a bit and i am honestly sorry because in the end i know you did your best to keep us all happy . As usual we all survived and that is all that matters .... aside from 3 of us getting robbed it was totally worth coming out to spend time with some of my favorite people on the planet . Timo , Melanie and Dom it was great seeing you all . As i said i know i was a bit of a bitch and i shouldn't be but this travelling so much and so many crazy layovers kinda drove me nuts . I probably wouldn`t want to share an apartment with 13 people again but this is something i wouldn`t know without trying it . 

Next week i head off to Texas , nothing hockey related aside possibility of going to see the rink there . I am not bringing my gear , this is truly a vacation for me LOL ! Carrying , dragging and lifting that bag all around the world is tough but i highly suggest it to all of you to try . Its not for everyone but in the end there are always new friends and great people to meet that play the same game we all love . Just remember when you do what i do that you should always say thank you ! those words go a long way ..... 

The Barcelona Tournament was amazing , it is organized the way my tournament used to be with teams leaving equipment at arena . Free beer ! Great people and so many travellers from so many countries . The competition was great and the atmosphere being on Camp Nou is like a dream . I would HIGHLY suggest every travelling hockey player go to play in this tournament !!!!!! Just be careful as the pickpockets are a reality , trust me they are there and they are willing to rob everyone :( so the last thank you is to that scum bag bastard that stole my camera :P you may have stolen my images but you can never steal my memories ... those are more special than anything and i have so many fond ones from this last trip . 

When i get back from Texas i will start working and saving up for my next major trip .... does anyone have any guesses as to what`s next . :P


No comments:

Post a Comment