Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Last Day On Ice in SA


Damn these early ice times are murder but it's what I crave so yeah I woke up quite early and hopped on the train from Sandton to Rhodesfield to get on the ice at 730 am . It's been a while since I have had to get up this early ... Actually just remembered that the stupid federation in Argentina switched our schedule last year to accommodate us LOL ... I don't want to even get into how horrible that tournament was :) 

Taking the train here is nice . No food or drink or pets allowed and they enforce it and it helps because it is so nice and clean ... Maybe transit in Toronto should take notes as I think about how dirty and disgusting it is . It is not the first time I have seen someone on the streetcar I. Toronto with their dog sitting on the chairs :( yeah I know your dog has rights too but you aren't paying for that extra seat and I don't see you cleaning it up either ... Just saying . Take note and come see how nice it is to travel via transit here ! 


When I got to Rhodesfield Station coach Andre Marais came to pick me up as Gary unfortunately had a funeral to attend. Andre is also a member of the national team and an all around good guy  that does a lot for the hockey programs here . He is not alone as he is surrounded by some great parents and other coaches who all have their best interest in the sport we all live and love ! Every morning I showed up to the rink I was greeted by the parents and coaches and they really made me feel as though I was part of the group .... Thank you all from the bottom of my heart :) 


It was suspected that this would be my last ice time with the group and we got some nice group photos . I felt a bit better and stayed on the ice a bit longer to face some shots from the coaches . It was a fitting end to my stay and of course I was pretty sad to say good bye but this is the life of a traveller such as myself . The plan is to gather my gear tomorrow ( in real life today) so I can head out to Durban with Gary for some fun . I won't forget any of you guys/parents/coaches and I will hopefully be able to follow your progress in the future as I am sure most if not all of you will represent your country which is totally amazing for me to know I had a hand helping you with your progression ! Especially the goalies !!!! You guys are all awesome .


I got a ride I the station and made my way back to my hotel and of course I was hungry so I jumped into a tuk tuk and went to KFC ... It wasn't that good never seen dark meat so dark :( yucky ... Illness is still having an effect on me so I took a nap and when I awoke watched the World Cup ... I am happy to say Germany won as I am hoping they make final . I will be playing with my German buddies in Barcelona during the final so I am thinking the party will be amazing I they make it and win it .... Fingers crossed .

I want to thank the South African Ice Hockey Association ( SAIHA ) once again for giving me the opportunity to help ! Hope to see you all in the future again :) would love to get a jersey next time too unless someone can scrounge one up before I take off next Wednesday ... Hint hint Lol ! 







No comments:

Post a Comment