Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

South African Youth Development Camp

Last night I fell asleep around midnight as I was watching the World Cup . I had to wake up at 430 am today to get a taxi to the rink . Last night I haggled with a couple taxi companies and I found 1 that would take me there for between 300-350 Rands . Others asked for 450 and I flat out told them I rather walk at that price... I even told the concierge that if they don't want the 300 Rands at 5 am then maybe they can stay home or look elsewhere .... I basically put my foot down ! I'm not a stupid tourist , not all the time lol ;) 

Anyways my alarm got me up ... Of course I finally was in the midst of a good sleep which was interrupted by my alarm :( went to lobby met taxi and off we went in the wrong direction , we also passed the exit I knew we were supposed to take and the dumbass thought he was taking me for a ride . When we arrived the fare said 500 rands . I gave him 370 told him dispatch told me it wouldn't be more then that and left ... Thanks douche !

Enough of the angry stuff now I am at the rink meeting parents had a quick coffee and went upstairs to get dressed . I am not in the best of shape , tired , achey and I think I caught a cold as I have the sand paper throat too . When I get on the ice I get to meet the 6 goalies and we all got along as I am sure they were really happy to have someone there to work with them. 

I saw a couple play a few days back so I kinda knew that 1 was trying to use his glove to stop everything and the other was small and played deep while staying low . Obviously I want the glove save to turn into squaring off and the small guy needs to challenge more and leave his crease . That's not what I started with though .... I wanted to see of they could handle a puck so I had the goalies pair up to pass the puck , then I worked with them on their points in the crease and their movement . After that I put all that together got 1 goalie in crease and had the others shoot puck in from the point , goalie in crease stops puck behind net passes it out front and scrambles to make save . The kids liked it especially the ones that had trouble handling pucks ;) they all listened carefully as I gave them encouragement and I could tell they were all happy . 

We were on the ice for 3 hours and I built a good rapport with them as it's not hard getting along with an oversized child like myself . Some even wanted to see me do the drills so I stepped in the crease and robbed a few guys . Wish I was feeling better so I can go through the drills with them ... I could use the exercise but this morning i was sweating pretty hard and hopefully the rest I took today will help tomorrow . 

It's such an honour knowing that some of these kids will represent their country in the future and that I am hear helping them . I really want to thank the SAIHA for letting me have this opportunity . After hockey we went to eat all together and had a few laughs :) then I took the transit home with a return ticket costing me 70 rands so tomorrow I will take a train at 630 am to get back at it ! 

The other coaches and myself were planning to go to Hooters tonight but everyone is wiped out so I just laid low at my hotel and ordered room service ... Again ! Tomorrow should be more action at the rink and hopefully I will get some pics to post . Kinda hard to do that when I am actually on ice ;) as the days go by I am sure I will learn the goalies names so I am sorry if you don't see your names yet . As soon as I remember them I can guarantee I will be writing about you ! 

Time to hit the sack ... Peace ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment