Pages

Friday, July 4, 2014

EFC 31


Waking up in a foreign country feeling ill sucks . It's even worse waking up by alarm when you finally have fought off jet lag and you are in that deep sleep you have been yearning for . Had to muster up the strength to walk over to the train station to meet Gary and head to the rink . To be honest I probably wouldn't get on ice if I was feeling like this at home but I'm not home ... I am in South Africa and most of the kids at this camp are sick too, which sucks for all of us but regardless we are all making the most of the experience . I am glad that we aren't on the ice as long as we were yesterday when we were on for 3 hours ! 


After the session I had to get back to my room to rest up as I was going to watch the big fights :) EFC is Africa's UFC and is kinda a feeder for them with up and coming mixed martial artists vying for the chance to be champion and hopefully getting noticed by the big league . When I arrived at my train station I was hungry an had a craving for grease ....McDonald's will do just fine but where is it ??? Ok there is a tuk tuk maybe
he can take me there and drive me back to my hotel ! I jumped in and off we went :) he took me through the drive through which was a first for me ... I mean how many of you have been through a drive thru in a tuk tuk ? Probably a few but not many right LOL ! I paid 50 Rands for the ride and just under 50 Rands for the Big Mac combo which in total was under $10 ... Awesome !


When I got to my room I gobbled my Big Mac and crashed like a baby . It was great but then I had to wake up and take train to meet Gary to go to the fights which were being held at the Coca Cola Dome . We went early to watch preland stopped at a service station en route where I found biltong which is South African beef jerky ... Sometimes it's not beef but this one was and it was yummy ... For those of you that know me well I also found Mirinda !!!! My favorite orange pop , kinda like Fanta but better if you ask me :) so we continued on our way to the fights and when we arrived we were ushered to our seats which i am still not sure were our seats an to be honest I don't think the ushers knew if they were our seats either , regardless they were great seats . I paid the equivalent of $45 a seat which if this were a UFC event would have costed $1500 ... Yea they were floor seats ! It was quiet in the stadium with mainly just fighters in attendance some that Gary actually knew which was pretty cool . The atmosphere was soon to change as we approached the main card .... The seats started filling and you could feel the energy ! It was amazing .


The fights were great with the highlight being a nice knockout ... Too bad there weren't more as most of the fights were very well and evenly matched with the main fight between Zulu and Pena with it going the full 5 rounds and a new champion was crowned as Pena won . We scurried out before it was over so we wouldn't get stuck in traffic ... Gary hates traffic hahaha ! The card went a bit late and I have to get up early for hockey so it was off to bed again . 


I figured I should take some pics of the ring girls so here you go ! I should get going as I have to pack up to leave for Durban tomorrow .... Will write about today's events later on :) 

Happy 4th of July to all my American friends . Have a few pints for me please :p 


No comments:

Post a Comment