Pages

Friday, November 7, 2014

The Road to Terrace Bay


Wednesday morning I had to get up at 4 am , shower and hit the road . It's gonna be a long day as I am on my way to Whistler , BC and I have to make it in 5 days . Yeah I know it's crazy and should actually be a 6 day drive but I'm gonna give it a go . 

The way I figured it out is that my first day I would push to get to Terrace Bay which is a town halfway between Sault Ste. Marie & Thunder Bay . I decided to push more at the beginning of this road trip so I could get to Winnipeg by Thursday so I could catch the Jets game vs. Pittsburgh ;) 

So I hit the road and made good time out of Toronto with a quick stop at Tim Hortons . It seemed as though I was driving forever when I finally got hungry and there wasn't much pickings when I saw a sign saying McDonalds at next exit  .... Don't mind if I do. ;) so at the next exit I pulled over ... Nothing ??? Ok so I drive a bit off exit ... Nothing. ??? Then I see a sign , McDonalds 30 km ???? There were no turn offs or roads to pull u- turns on so I keep motoring and eventually give in to keep going to this McDonalds in Elliot Lake . It wasn't your typical town , you know how elephants all go to certain places to die ? Well I  am almost sure Elliot Lake is the place old people go to die . 

When we walked into this McDonalds we were the kids !!!! It was rammed with super senior citizens .... Basically 70 + hangout ! It was odd usually McDonalds is filled with kids and teenagers , but there was none within sight ! In fact we didn't see any younger people even driving into town .... It must be a sanctuary for people to go to .... to die Lol! 

When we left we had to head back on course to get to Terrace Bay . Passed through the Soo and got into nothingness ... I should have filled up my tank in the Soo but really my inexperience driving in this region was going to be tested . Highway speed drops to 90 zzzz and in the middle of nowhere with no gas stations .... I was freaking out a bit , sweating as I saw the yellow gas light click on. I started to coast as much as I could to preserve gas as I knew I had 15 minutes to drive with my tank pretty much empty ... Somehow I pulled into a station in Wawa on fumes !!!!

Gassed up , hit the road again and started pushing to get to Terrace Bay . Started to get nervous as the sun was going down . Signs saying moose charging at night made me more and more nervous and eventually I started to ignore speed limits . It was now a race against time to get to the Norwood Inn in Terrace Bay . I got to Mission when a cop coming towards me apparently clocked me doing 119 in a 90 and pulled me over .... Pig ! Anyways unlike the typical pig this guy gave me a break reducing fine to driving 105 in 90 which is a $55 ticket ;) I can deal with that ... But still I think this 90 km/hr Trans Canada Highway is a joke !!!! 

Of course I didn't make it before night fall and had to drive about 1.5 hours in pitch black darkness with no other vehicles in sight but finally i made it to Terrace Bay ;) it's a small town with a mall with restaurants / motels and best of all an ice rink  ... Too bad these inbreds up here are Habs fans :( 


I found this shitty mural painted outside the rink ;) yeah I hate the Montreal Canadiens with all my heart but if was nice to end my day at a rink . The 13 hour drive murdered me and I have 12 more hours to look forward to before I get to Winnipeg to watch Jets game . Basically we ate at a restaurant called Drifters where we both had the special , which was good but you can't call a $20 meal a special LOL . We thought it would be cheaper , oh well it was good enough and the service was great . The place was actually rammed with people so good on them ;) 

Unfortunately i have to get up at 4 am again so i went to bed before 9 pm to get  some rest .... Next stop , Winnipeg ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment