Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Country #26 .... Macedonia


What a day yesterday was ! Woke up at 10 am and pretty much shook off the jet lag . We met up with Jure Vnuk who is the Macedonian National Team coach , former pro and all around amazing guy ! We went for some traditional food with some other friends from the tournament in the old city ... I had this sort of hamburger with cheese inside and some finger food . Meals here are an event and people really love their food ... Straight up the foods amazing !!! And mega dirt cheap ;) 


After stuffing our faces we all decided to walk it off and see the city . Rainer met some girls as you can see above LOL ! After walking around for too long by Rainers standards we decided to go for "just one drink " ... Famous last words ! So I took him to the Irish Pub I was at the day before and we got totally hammered on beer , ramazotti and raki ( might have spelled that wrong ) . We met some other Germans and had a good time getting liquored up.  Did I mention we have 
a hockey practise to go to ? 


When we left the bar we had to navigate our way to hotel and it wasn't easy so we jumped into a taxi near the river . It was dark out and there were dirty nasty hookers everywhere , not my cup of tea ! Got to hotel packed our bags and headed to the rink by taxi . This was an open ice time for all 4 teams at once ??? Not the greatest idea ... Should have split the time but whatever . 


I went to my room with my team mates from Thessalonoki , Greece their team is called Iraklis . Unfortunately there is no padding on floor so I opted to change alone in another area where I wouldn't destroy my skates . Met a bunch of cool people and jumped on the ice with the 6 or 7 other goalies and 60 some odd skaters ;( yeah it kinda sucked but whatever ! I got between pipes for a whole 10 minutes and that was it ... Now I can say I played in Macedonia . I could see some guys were disappointed but what can you do .... Where's Rainer ??? 

When I got to my changing area I found Rainer still drinking , he decided to drink beers instead of skating a bit LOL ! Oh Rainer ;) you gotta understand that the federation here is doing their best with what they have and trust me this tournament will get better and more organized as they learn from past mistakes.  

Zoki gave us a ride to our hotel VIP and we dropped our stuff and got back on the piss . Our Greek team mates camedown and  wanted to go for beers and suggested I show them the Irish pub . I did , it was closed at 1 am ??? Yeah it's an odd system here where bars close early and if you wanna drink you go to nightclubs . I'm getting too old to stand in likes for half an hour and most of the guys just want a few beers so we made our way back to our hotel where they sell beer . We cleaned out their stock by drinking steadily until 4 am . Tomorrow our game is at 11 am so I should get some zzzz's . We play local club Metallurg Skopje ... They look strong , oh well we'll find out tomorrow ! 






No comments:

Post a Comment