Pages

Friday, November 7, 2014

Road to Winnipeg

Another ridiculously early morning but this time I am starting in pitch black driving through the wilderness of northern Ontario ... Remember I was spooked driving at night on way to Terrace Bay . Totally uncomfortable driving in the dark but I had to in order to make it to Winnipeg in time for puck drop at the Jets game . 

Unbelievably I only had one near brush with wildlife as I saw a deer (?) or something big basically clearing a 2 lane highway in 2 leaps !!! It was big whatever it was and I am glad it didn't hit me ! I made a mistake by not filling up with gas the night before as there was an Esso station right where we stayed ... I figured I would fill up in the morning and also figured major gas stations along the Trans Canada Highway would be open 24 hours ... WRONG !!!! So no gas , no coffee and no clue where or when i would come across either . Luckily there was both only an hour into my 11 hour drive to Winnipeg ;) 

When we hit Thunder Bay around 8 am we had to stop to see the Terry Fox Memorial then on to Santorelli's to meet Daniel Peever for some eats . 


It was great meeting up with Aston Villa super fan Peev's . Unfortunately time was an issue and has to hit the road after only an hour in Thunder Bay :( would have been nice to get a few pints with Peever but it wasn't a good idea lol . We then stopped at Kakabeka Falls and got a few pics before hitting the road . 


Driving for 24 hours to get to Winnipeg in 2 days is mental but let me tell ya .. Making it to that Jets game on time yet  made it all worth it !!! I would do it again in a heartbeat . When we finally arrived at the Holiday Inn in Winnipeg we dropped our bags and headed out to the MTS Center which was a 10 minute walk from our hotel :) 


Ok so let me gush over this Jets game ... Honestly one of the best hockey games I have ever seen ! The fans are unbelievably loud and you can feel the electricity in the air as the home fans go absolutely bonkers for their team . I started chatting with the guy beside me (Gio) about hockey and whatnot and got the urge for beers as we watched this playoff style game ... Really it was awesome . Oh did I mention that the Jets were playing the Pittsburgh Penguins ? Yeah Crosby and company put on quite the show also as there were at least 5 fights and so big goals ... It was a tight game and went to a shootout tied 3-3 when Crosby put his mark on the game by scoring the winner in true fashion . It would have been nice to see the Jets win big was just as good to see Crosby pull out some heroics ;) 

After the game we scurried back in the cold to our hotel and called it a night . Don't have to get up ridiculously early but I am totally wiped out and I think I passed out before my head hit my pillow ... Tomorrow I gotta drive to Regina,Saskatchewan . YAY ! 



No comments:

Post a Comment