Pages

Monday, April 3, 2017

Egypt Bound


It's been a while since I've had anything to write about . In fact this is my first blog post of 2017 . I've been working hard to organize a few trips and somehow they haven't worked out . Just needed to get myself a holiday or something booked and then it all started to fall into place . I decided to book a flight to Birmingham and start organizing stuff from Birmingham . 


As the dates for ice times concerts and other events fell into place I was left with this gap which gave me time to take off and explore a new ice pad on another corner of the planet but where ? Most countries in Europe close their rinks in April and one by one I got shot down .... Need somewhere that won't take me too long to get to . I though about Iran and Slovenia and a few other places .... Then I decided to contact some mutual friends from Egypt to see what the deal is there . 


The Egyptians competed in last years African Club Cup .... (Excuse me if this is the wrong name ) they had fun and my Moroccan friends have always told me to go visit and help them . When I got in touch with Sameh and Ahmed they let me know that I could go skate there BUT they have no nets .... Well a goalie can't be a goalie without a goal right ? So they researched and found a guy to make them nets and I found sponsors to pay for them . I am currently eagerly awaiting response on how they are coming along :) that wasn't it though .... I contacted my friends from the Birmingham Rockets in England and team leader Gemma Taylor Albutt spearheaded a hockey drive to collect equipment for me to take over with me . That is really amazing but it will cost me at least $100 per bag for this flight which might be kinda hard to pay for on my own .... So for the first time in my life I started a GoFundMe page https://www.gofundme.com/Egyptianicehockey if you are reading this and want to help any donations would be greatly appreciated and this money is strictly for transporting gear with me ! I will post pictures of the bills to add up and will keep everyone posted . Who knows this might become a regular thing ? Last year I sent a few bags to Casablanca , Morocco . This year Egypt .... Who knows who's next but regardless I'm excited to help and make some new friends/hockey buddies . 

I will be in Egypt helping their national team program between April 24-29 ... Stay tuned ! And seriously even a $5 donation will help :) let's make hockey a global thing .


No comments:

Post a Comment