Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Birmingham 2013





Most of you don't know this , or don't read my blog enough to know this ... i am a huge Aston Villa fan ! Yeah football or as some of you call it soccer :( I got into it when i was stranded in Birmingham way back in 2004 . Spent 3 weeks with my family in Birmingham and my cousin took me to Villa Park and bought me a bunch of Villa gear , i had to become a fan . So on most of my Euro trips i usually try to plan a stopover to see my favorite football club . I just really love going to sporting events . That is my aunt there with Kathleen . Another reason that i had to go there .... when i was planning my trip i looked up Villa's schedule and saw 2 games in 3 days and both in Birmingham so obviously i made plans to go to these games and visit my aunt on the day off .


We left from Stuttgart and flew to Paris ( yup ) with Air France ( yup ) and it was not the greatest plan . I was smart enough to leave my gear in Germany with Rainer as i was gonna meet up with him when i returned , so you guessed it ...no lost gear , only part of this trip it wasn't lost LOL . We met with a buddy of mine living in Birmingham , Karl McNelly . We used to play in the same hockey league for years and he is living out there now , i am sure he is always happy to see familiar faces when someone goes over . I was initiating him as an Aston Villa fan ! He came to both games and i introduced him to a lot of my friends there that are Villa Supporters . When i went to Chicago to watch Villa i met a whole bunch of people but there were a few that stood out ... the Kidderminster Lions ! . So obviously i contacted them for tickets and they sorted me out with no problem , just like they did last year when i lost Rainer after the game at Craven Cottage home of Fulham ... of course i was treated really well these guys are top class . I had my first visit to the Lions Lounge , New Adventurers Pub and met a lot of new Villans like the Belgian Lions . Wow these guys were a wild bunch , loved 'em thanks for the Vodka tasting again Tom !!!! Another shout out to Cosmik Vodka :) try it if you see it ... Belgian Vodka , yum !


During all this i went on a shopping spree at the Villa shop in the Bullring and even at Villa Park , there was a hoodie i wanted so badly that wasn't in my size at the first shop . Don't ask how much i spent , it was all worth it though . We also did end up meeting my family for a few hours out in Chelmsley Wood , took a bus out there and had no problem finding there house . Remember i did spend 3 weeks there before and have been there many times , its a rough neighbourhood so we decided not to stay late . In hindsight i wish i stuck around longer , i really love them for taking me in when i was in need 10 years ago and hope to see them next time i am in Europe . Anyways enough of the sappy stuff LOL . 


Villa lost the first game and tied the second one but all in all i had a great time , our hotel was in the heart of everything on Broad St. the room was decent and we really did not spend much time in it so for the price it was great so if you are in Birmingham i would suggest trying to Novotel there . We only spent 3 days there so really i don't have all too much to write about ....  all i know is i can't wait to go back , and i would highly suggest everyone goes there to at least watch a Villa game ... UTV :) 

So i really have to thank some people for my amazing experience in Birmingham ... thanks Paul , Elvis and Ben ( Kidderminster Lions ) for sorting out my tickets and being the amazing hosts you are ! Thanks to Tom Gillis and the Belgian Lions for making my stay a bit rowdier then i expected , you guys are great i hope to see you all in the future . Thanks to Karl for putting up with my complaining LOL ... i hope you keep following the best football club in the world ! What a great time we all had . Hope to see everyone again to raise a pint to the Villa , Up The Villa !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment