Pages

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Gibraltar


Alright ... Yesterday we left our gracious hosts in Benalmadena to come over to Gibraltar. Ticket for our bus was booked a few days ago and seat numbers were assigned ... We walked over to the bus stop and when we got on there were 2 Asian tourists in our seats so we sat elsewhere thinking nothing of it . The bus was empty anyways . We made a couple stops and realized people took the seating arrangement serious ? If that was the case then 20 of us would be jammed up at the front with the back open ...makes no sense aside from bus company keeping track of how many people are on the bus right ??? Well this dumb American gets on with his buddies sits beside me and tells his buddies to go sit in the back ??? Why you don't you go with them dumbass !!! Well we make a couple more stops and the row in front of us is empty and beside is empty so is this guy that freaking stupid ??? YUP ! So I was sick of sitting beside this numpty and got up to move to the window seat in front of us ... Of course the cunt moves to the window and of course I put my seat back as far as possible :) yeah fuck you asshole LOL ! Why are people so stupid ? You could have sat anywhere you jerk ! Suffer then HAHAHA !!!!!


When we got off the bus in LaLinea , Spain we then walked across the boarder ... La Linea is kinda dirty with drugs being sold right in the open ( at least I saw it ) then you cross boarder and you are in English speaking Gibraltar ... It belongs to England and for the most part is filled with British people ;) oh and the rock is huge ... You can't miss it . We arrived around 10 am but couldn't check in until 12 so we dropped our bags and wandered around grabbed a coffee and baguette in Kecsmar square which was good until the server took over 15 minutes to give us our change ??? Yeah he comes to us after clearing table and asks "are you waiting for change ? ". Really dude do you think we are giving you a £10 tip on a £10 bill ??? We left him nothing for wasting our time :) 


Finally we get out room at the hotel and our room is massive !!! There is a nice sized bed , bunk beds , couch ... Then there is a hallway with a fridge that leads to the bathroom ... Quite impressed with The Cannon Hotel ... If you're here look it up , nothing snazzy but for the money it's totally worth it ! It's right on the main strip  which is rammed with tourists ... I hate tourist pylons , those are the clusters of people that stand in the middle of sidewalks lost instead of pushing over to the side or stopping in a cafe to figure out stuff ... Hate em and they are everywhere !!! You see there are bus' that come here for 5 hours to shop , you can tell who they are because they have stickers on their shirts lol . So far Gibraltar seems like a giant tourist trap ! 


I know there is an ice rink here so I figured out where it was and I headed  over there as soon as I dropped my bags  . It is just around the corner :) as soon as I got there I asked to speak to the manager and gave him my spiel how I wanted to interview him and talk about the rink . The young guy I spoke to said the manager was busy and took me to the rink where I met the guys upstairs and I told them my story and they took me to the head honcho . John Azzopardi (yes a fellow Malteser) is the Managing Director of King's Bastion Leisure Center which has a bowling alley , movie theatre and best of all ..... An ice rink ! John told me he would gladly do an interview so I rushed back to my hotel set up my GoPro and rushed back ... The interview was great ! Found out the rink is 8 years old and they don't play hockey due to the proximity of the glass surrounding the rink , but there are plans to make the government subsidized rink bigger . John offered me a complimentary skate and I obliged . The guys upstairs set me up with some Bauer skates not the generic blue skates you see at ice rinks as rentals and I stepped out onto their small sheet of ice . It has square corners , the ice is a bit dry and thin but they let me know about that already . I wish I had taken down all the guys names to mention them as they were really friendly and had a lot of questions about how to maintain and how to get ice hockey started here :) I am sure it's gonna happen sooner then later ! I will do what I can to help these guys as it really seems like they want to play the game . 


The maintenance guys showed up to watch me skate around ... It would be nice to see more people using the rink here even for pleasure skating . I'm pretty sure I will hear from them ... And guys if you are reading this please contact me if you have any questions , I would like to help however I can ;)

When I left the rink I had to take a quick shower before heading to the Rock Of Gibraltar ... I will write about that experience later on . If you are ever here in Gibraltar please make sure to visit the rink and tell the guys I said hello !!!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment