Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

Lions & Crocodiles



The day after that crazy drink up with the Springs Rugby Klub I woke up feeling like hell in an odd bed ! No I wasn't in the bed with the kissing bandit but in the haze I was in it took me a few minutes to realize I was at Gary's place . Boy did I feel like something the cat dragged in ! 

Gary and his mom took me out for breakfast and I swear I tried to eat but I was not exactly feeling right ... Not that I ever do lol ! I pecked at my breakfast but just couldn't get in the mood to chow down . I really tried to hide the fact I felt like shit but I don't think my acting was oscar winning material . It was more like cheap theatrical performance . Who am I fooling ? Nobody ! 


After trying to eat Gary took me by Northgate Mall to see their rink briefly which was a really nice big rink . Did i mention I was supposed to be on ice in the morning ? Well yeah I set my alarm for 5 am but didn't turn it on. Regardless to this moment I am not sure if there was ice time or not ? Seems to have been some miscommunication ? 


We headed to the Lion Park in Johannesburg and boy was I sweating ... Mostly alcohol ! We headed to the petting cage to pet some link cubs and on way in we were told to pet lions with a flat hand and not to touch tails or head , simple enough ;) we get in and the reality that I was in a cage with animals that can kill me kicked in . Yeah I was nervous ! Here kitty kitty , of course they were cute and docile as they are fed beforehand . There was a small girl that jumped right in started petting all of them and I watched in fear then went ahead pet a couple got a few pics and moved away only to hear the volunteer explaining to the girls father that if they wanted to eat they would go after his daughter first ? Thanks for the disclaimer buddy lol . The poor girls father didn't seem excited to hear this after the fact . I don't blame him ;) 



We then jumped into Gary's car to go into the lion enclosure where they were being fed and let me tell you these animals are beautiful and HUGE ! Almost as soon as we got in a female lion walked right over to our car and just walked right past the hood of our car !!!! My pants felt heavier after that WOW . Watching these great beasts gnaw on dead carcass was a pretty cool sight ! We had great timing . 


After driving through all the enclosures we were about to leave when we saw a sign for Croc City which was just down the road so we went to check it out . When we arrived we were told it was feeding time but the crocs didn't seem so hungry as they weren't really interested in the dead chickens that were being tossed at them . It was a nice little place pretty much catered for families with a small picnic area . There were tons of kids there ... We were told to go see the snakes and spiders so we did , some pretty cool stuff ! I held a baby crocodile and got some pics on my camera which I can't post now unfortunately :( then I was offered to have a boa constrictor put on me .... Ummm sorry i'll pass :) it was a short stay but it didn't cost much to enter so I would suggest checking it out . The gentleman wandering around was interesting enough as he educated us about the animals there , which I thought was pretty cool . 



Gary took me out for a really good steak then we headed to his place on way to another ice rink at Festival Mall where I thought I would be playing but as I said there must have been a miscomunication and instead we ended up watching the U20 championships final game . The kids playing are pretty good ! There was a great atmosphere with the stands quite full . At this point I am in limbo wondering when I can get on ice but Gary is keen to help so he introduces me as his Canadian goalie friend that travelled here to help with the question asked if I can get on ice . Apparently goalies here have never had anyone come out to help them .... Seriously never and all the people I met were ecstatic to know that I want to help . The word got around the rink and by the end of the game I was invited to help the SAIHA coach their goalies starting Wednesday at their junior development camp !!!!! Unbelievable eh ? Do you know how exciting it is knowing I am going to help the federation here ? And that some of these kids will represent South Africa at future world championships .... I am very happy and proud !!! This will be special for all of us , I   am jumping out of my skin with excitement ;) 


What a great day ! Thank you Gary Bock you are truly a great friend , thanks to your mom also for buying me breakfast 
even though I hardly ate it lol ! I couldn't have done all this without you :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment