Pages

Monday, January 4, 2016

The Guiri Army


Alright so this is a couple days ago now so today I have some time to play catch up :) another amazing day down the coast of Spain and what better way then to spend a day watching footie so Richard  organized tickets through a local pub called The Lounge €30 got us a ticket and bus ride to watch C.F. Malaga vs. Celta Vigo . This will be my first La Liga match ;) 


First things first though ... We had to eat and of course it was very indecisive but we came to the conclusion to go to Rima's (again) yeah I'm kinda sick of this place . Food is ok and the atmosphere is nice and all but I just can't do the same place 3x in less then a week , but I did and we ended up getting another burger ... Yup 2 of my first 3 meals in 2016 were burgers , and neither of them were anything remotely as good as Burgers Priest ... Actually even Mc D's would probably be better lol ! Nah ok they weren't that bad hahaha ;) on my way to eat I had to grab a pair of shoes for my romp around the next day .... So I got me some Claret coloured Karhu's . I don't think they sell this Finnish brand back home and they were only €27 ...sold ! 


After eating we headed over to The Lounge to see if we catch the Villa match on the telly but it was closed and every pub around was showing the ManUre game ... Even the apparent Sunderland pub was showing ManUre so we headed back to Casa Pilkington's and watched it on our own ... Villa are truly shit this year 
and we are setting records for being shit too so it was easier to watch while drinking ... So on the piss we go ! After watching Villa lose we packed up and headed to The Lounge which was now opened. As soon as we walked in we were greeted by David Boardman who is the pub owner and super fan of C.F. Malaga ... We told him we were all Villa fans and he immediately introduced us to Dave Wordley who is also a Villan ;) we got on quite well complaining about our troubles with the club we love and both Dave's helped us settle into the group very nicely as well . Honestly if you are down in Benalmadena go check out a footie match with these guys and you will not be disappointed :) the pub makes a free stew to hand out to help ease the drunkeness which I tried and I quite liked it . And they do all sorts of activities to make the night out eventful ! 


Now I know you are all wondering ... What the hell is a Guiri ? And this is the most amazing part of this all .... Guiri is a bad word Spaniards use to call tourists so Spaniards obviously think that this is a derogatory term right ??? Well this lot took that term and took the piss out of it and made it their club name hahaha !!! Even better , they stamped it all across a bus that they travel in . Apparently coppers have stopped them to get pictures in front of it LOL :) these guys are basically Brits but very accepting of everyone and anyone which made them even more likeable . We get on the bus and it is covered on the inside with Malaga scarfs from all over the place and one of the lads comes by to see if we want the beer special ? Yeah so for €10 you can drink as much as you want before and after the game outside their pub near the grounds !!! Fantastico !!! I drank my fair share and then we headed to the grounds which were kinda dark and seemed a bit outdated . We got to our seats behind the goal with the Guiri Army and there was a megaphone attached to a pole .... A guy standing on the railing facing the crowd yelling out chants " Pom Pom Pom Pom !" It was loud and very active in our section , what an atmosphere . Malaga put on a great display for us in the first half scoring goals at our end and going up 2-0 which they went on to hold onto :) the opponent was 4th in the standings so it was a huge win and the fans truly celebrated .... What a difference from watching the Villa :( 


At half time we went to the concessions stand . Now remember there are tons of Brits in this section and the first thing me and Richard notice is Pukka Pies ?? Ok we gotta have one .... Big mistake . As I said it was the one concession stand with absolutely no organization , it was a free for all with no lineup and we were told to wait for our pies ??? Ok .... We got our pies , happier then pigs in shit ! We bite into em and .... They are barely thawed out ??? Yuck ! I ate mine anyways but really you have a section of Brits that regular attend and concession doesn't know to have these pies heated by half time ?!?!? Well I guess that's the way it is here but fuck me you have one job that really lasts about half an hour so just have everything prepared before ok lol ! Aside from the worst concession I have ever had the whole experience was still amazing . Malaga went on to win 2-0 and we all had a good time singing along in Spanish .... I have to hand it to the Guiri's though for showing me a good time . I think I have found my La Liga squad to cheer for .... I even bought a Lounge C.F. Malaga top :) 

When the night was over the bus didn't quite stop us anywhere near where we started our night , and it was pissing rain .... We got soaked walking so far but shit happens and I still had an amazing time and I hope to come back to watch another match with this lot ... Until then I am happy to know I have made some new friends that are called the Guiri's :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment