Pages

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Footwarmers



Well here I am in Germany 🇩🇪:) arrived yesterday morning from Toronto . Took awhile to get my hockey bags when I arrived . I am pretty sure my bag was the last to show up from my flight and there was even a moment where I went to see if it was lost ! How could you lose a bag on a direct flight though ? I’m sure it’s been done lol ! When I finally got my bags and cleared security I met up with my good buddy Timo Korner . It’s been a few years since we’ve been together but time has not changed us too much and we had some good chats about everything under the sun . When we got to the car I saw mamma :) timo’s mom was waiting there and we all made our way from Munich to Fussen . 


On our way we decided to stop to eat and of course the decision was laid upon my shoulders over what to eat .... Greek food ? Or schnitzel ? Well I’m in Germany so schnitzel it is ! I mean what better way to start off my stay here . Oh I forgot to mention that there was a beer waiting for me in the car too ... almost forgot that you can drink in cars here ... stupid liquor laws where I’m from have stained my brain hahaha ;) the food at the restaurant was pretty good if you ask me and it filled me up enough for our hockey game , yes I’m playing hockey not even 8 hours after landing . That’s just the way I roll ....



When we got to Timo’s place we chilled out for a couple hours then headed to the rink . The other day before I left I thought about getting new laces and I wanted to go to Toronto Hockey Repair but for some reason I was lazy and thought they would be fine for the duration of the trip .... fast forward to last night and I’m in the arena getting dressed and I went to put on my right skate and of course the lace breaks !!! Damn you karma ! What do I do now with no extra laces and this is my first day on the road :( grrrrr !!!! Well I dealt with it ... obviously I had no time since I was on the ice in 5 minutes so a Macgyvered the laces to what I thought was something that would work ... got on the ice and nope ... it was super loose . Time to adjust I guess . 



Before I go on about my skates and the perils of playing with a loose boot let me tell you a bit about the guys I skated with .... Footwarmers hockey is a club here in Fussen that has been around since 1960 ! Yeah that’s quite long for a hobby league club . I actually had one of the guys as a Facebook friend for a few years but we never had met before . Christoph Weisenbach adder me or I added him on Facebook probably around the time when I went to South America with Timo and Andi and from what we gathered we had never met before . Sometimes it’s not that bad accepting a friend request from a stranger and at least now we can say we have met hahaha :) he gave me one of their team pucks before the skate and I handed out a few Ghetto Blaster stickers . Always good to bring gifts ! I mentioned that this was a game but it actually is a scrimmage amongst friends and I’m not sure if these guys play in a league or if they just play pick up once a week or so ? Regardless they can play ! 



Game goes up to 5 and I started off playing crap crap crap . Omg this skate is bugging the shit out of me and I can’t concentrate .... that’s usually when I give up those 5 hole goals :( which I gave up two of those and another complete shitter to lose the first game . I was kinda embarrassed and the other keeper was playing solid to boot . Everything is a factor for goalies ... we sit there alone and I’m telling ya ... the stuff that goes through my head almost always dictates the game for me , so obviously I wasn’t in my prime thinking about this broken skate lace . It’s not the skate laces fault in the end it’s all me . We lost the first game 5-2 and teams switched ends . Second game I got my shit together and started putting together a nice selection of crazy saves and I got much more comfortable but our team couldn’t score on the other goalie who apparently stepped up his game to face me :) we both played really well to keep the game tight and at the end when the zambini was coming on the ice we had lost the game 2-1 I don’t love losing but I was very happy with the way I played at the end . 


No comments:

Post a Comment