Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

I Can Finally Say I Have Played Ice Hockey In England !!!!!


Yesterday started off with a good breakfast and then we were off to Bournemouth to try to give the children a lesson in ice skating . It was not cheap , but was totally worth it . We all had a good time , aside from my complaining about the stupid rink guard that told me that taking pictures was a health and safety hazard and made me put it away ..... yeah you ask why is it a hazard? i asked too...." it is a rule just follow it " . 5 minutes later he ran over Kathleen skating backwards , not soon after he ran over another person....i wanted to slap the little punk , but i kept my cool and just laughed and clapped my hands when i saw him hit the ice LOL! The craziest part is health and safety does not worry about putting around 75 people on a rink the size of the neutral zone in hockey , or the fact that they had the lights turned off .... they have alot to learn over here .

As for the children ( Jack and Faegan ) , they actually gave a good strong effort out there . Even when their feet started to hurt they kept on trying . Now i am not a teacher nor am i qualified in any way but i was there none the less trying to show them how ....really i think that skating is something more of a natural thing like riding a bike , can't really be taught but can be learned ;)

Finally we ordered up some yummy Chinese food here in Ringwood had a good meal and then i had an illness scare ! Apparently the swine flu hit town before i got here and Snowy has been wrecked with it . I had a bit of a cough and took a quick nap ( before we headed out for hockey ) When i awoke i think the adrenaline took over and regardless it was a false alarm as i am feeling fine at the moment . So off we went to Basingstoke to meet up with Stuart Girdler and the Ice Hawks . Now Stuart has promised to send me a little rundown of the team so i can let you all know about them ( also if you are ever around this part of the world and want to play hockey you can always contact him !) , so when i get a minor history lesson on the team then i promise to report it to you all !!!

Snowy drove me to Basingstoke ( i owe you !) , practise was 10 PM there and it was a 2 hour practise which meant poor Snowy had to sit in a cold rink and watch guys blast pucks at me ( no game ) ....kinda not much of a spectator thing so for that reason i am in debt to you Snowy ( THANKS AGAIN AND AGAIN !) . Got to the rink and met 2 ( blokes) that were on the team , walked me into the concession area where we just got changed there ...yes not in dressing rooms . The guys started to chat me up and Stuart introduced me . I found out at this time that i was to be the only goalie ! 2 hours of practise 1 goalie .....approximately 500 pucks shot at me , couple bruises , jelly fish legs after and to top it all off the guys made me feel at home with a pelting of skate slush after the practise ( thanks guys :) it has taken me a few years but finally i have my hockey connections in the south of England , i am sure i will be going back to play with these guys in the future . Stuart is very much into hockey as i am and hopefully we can stay in contact , it helps to have friends ! On a hockey note i did not fair too badly , aside from the fact i was DEAD on the ice after the first hour .... at the end of the practise Stuart decided to rock my world with penalty shots , yes 20 guys taking penalty shots ....i would say maybe 4 scored on me ( if you include the superstar wearing the Islanders jersey ) he was stopped and went for another go and scored. All in all the guys are pretty serious about their hockey and i was so happy to see some really skilled skaters . Obviously i wish i had a bit more time to meet and learn the guys names but i am the Travelling Goalie and i must move on (for now ) .....Tony i did not forget you , Mr. Defense ! Ice Hawks thank you so much for having me .

Unfortunately i will have to post pics later as this is not my laptop and i do not have chord to hook camera up to upload . More than likely i will have to post pics with a follow up story of the Ice Hawks .... in the near future ! Today i am up and ready to go to watch some football ( AFC Bournemouth vs. Brentford ) should be class , sitting in rowdy section apparently hehehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment