Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Part 5 : Bolzano 2008


No i don't learn my lesson , back in my hungover state ....today we have to play our crossover game and i am waking up somehow on 2 hours of sleep , packing my bag and getting into a car to drive to our game . So feeling like shit AGAIN ( hahahaha) . Our game is vs. Bolzano Youth Club , basically one of the home teams ....this game is for the bronze ( 3rd place) . We get onto the ice and as usual i like to take off my mask while skating into the corner for a few squirts of water , when BLAM !!!! I feel something whack my nose and i take a few more strides , next thing i notice blood squirting madly out of me onto the ice and i buckle ....

When i skated out of my crease Maria took a mystery shot , something like the JFK bullet . The puck hit the crossbar ricocheted in an impossible angle and came at my mask ( i was almost in corner with back turned to net on the goal line ) , after hitting the chin part of my mask it whacked me on the bridge of my nose . Totally flukey . My teammates dragged me to the bench and our coach was telling me that they are gonna call an ambulance and take me to the hospital , while he was saying all this all i could think in my mind was ....i came all this way to play hockey ! So looking at him i asked if he could get me some cotton , they looked at me like i was crazy . I am .

So i stuffed the cotton up my nose and skated onto the ice to play our game , yeah this happened during our warmup ....with a huge blood spot on the ice i went out there dazed and confused. Of course one of the first shots on me is a breakaway , which i save :) ....the refs continuously asked me if i was ok , i am stubborn ! We went on to win that game very easily 9-3 . Our Czech teammates took off as fast as possible , probably still upset over losing to Slovaks LOL. The rest of us gathered after the championship game which the Slovaks won and had our awards ceremony . I accepted our third place trophy and immediately got on the phone to call my girlfriend .

Wow the pain really kicked in at this point . Standing on the side of a mountain near a waterfall i was in so much agony and will never forget having to say bye to people while i was in this shape . We had to leave to drive back to Germany . What a long painful ride ....this is just the beginning of my trip , now i have a busted nose and black eyes to travel through Europe with :( . I was in and out of consciousness on the drive back to Germany with Rudi driving and Rainer passed out in the back seat . When we got to Aalen i was quickly introduced to the hospital ....i had to pay 80  Euros in cash just to see a doctor , he took xrays ( which were all useless) and sent me off ( no painkillers) . On the way back to Rainers we discuss playing hockey tomorrow with Nate in Wernau ? with my response being ....that is what i came here for !

No comments:

Post a Comment