Pages

Friday, February 1, 2019

Street Art


The art scene here is pretty tight and I can’t knock Melbourne at all when speaking on this . We slept in a bit today and had no rush to start the day and didn’t have to cross the city to take a tour or anything . The plan is to meet Kathleen’s long lost family here ! One of her dads cousins lives here and she reached out to him to meet a family memeber she has never met before . She’s calling him Uncle Peter out of respect of his age but technically he is Kathleen’s second cousin as her parents cousins become your cousins too where as a brother or sister becomes an aunt or uncle and this is a family respect thing and I’m sure you all know this but I’m clarifying it so nobody is confused that this is technically not Kathleen’s uncle ok 👌 always gotta put out these disclaimers when posting shit as we don’t want to offend anyone as we live in this society of people that are easily offended but that’s another story . We had to figure our way out to Uncle Peters place and for once we are in a good position with our hotels location because the hotel is right down the road from the Souther Cross train station which we will utilize to get out to his place . Sometimes things work out but I would still have preferred to be in another part of Melbourne . 


We had to figure out the transit system here as the transit in the CBD is free but outside is not and is charged per zones travelled . When we get to the station there is no explanation of how many zones we are travelling through so we get directed to the office to book and pay for everything and we are told we have to buy this MYKI card which will cost each of us $6 just for the card ??? Do we get our money back for this ? I still don’t know but it seems like such a waste of money and adding all this plastic to our environment doesn’t seem so environmentally friendly does it . On top of the $6 fee to have a card that will be of no use to us after this one day we have to pay the $8.80 for both ways so $14.40 to go there and back then we can either throw the card out or try to find some other traveller that could use the card instead of them paying this silly fee . Seems like Melbourne is made up of silly fees doesn’t it ? How about that hockey insurance I’ve been moaning about ugh 😑 anyways at least the trains are clean and the system isn’t just two lines like the crappy Toronto transit . Ok there are 3 lines but one goes to an area that nobody lives in or travels too really ... good job on that one . It takes us almost an hour to make the trek out there and good thing I have my SIM card to keep following our gps on my phones google maps app so we know where we are as that little blue dot keeps moving and we had no problem locating where Kathleen’s cousin lives . When we finally arrive out there we were greeted by Peter and his wife Margaret who were both really friendly and welcoming . I was happy to meet them both but even more happier to see Kathleen connecting with family as she’s seen me do the same on some of my travels and I hope we stay in touch with them and possibly see them again but unfortunately not on this trip as we have more thing planned . We had some champagne and coffee and cake and then we had to head back to the hotel after being there for about 2 hours . Time flew and the conversation was great . 


The plan now is to head over to AC/DC Lane to see some more street art and as I said earlier the art here is phenomenal and even the train ride was littered with awesome graffiti on the way home which had me mesmerized. When we got back to the CBD we walked over to find the AC/DC Lane and of course the first person I could think of is Steve McNeil who is a referee that we all lovingly call Rock N Roll .... he loves AC/DC and is currently travelling around Canada skating for Alzheimer’s research raising money by doing his 1926 Skate where he shows up and skates for 19 hours and 26 minutes in some of the most horrible weather and yes it’s all outdoors and he’s doing a great thing by doing this so if you or anyone you know wants to ever make any donations make sure to follow this link .... 1926 Skate . Trying to tie this in with hockey since the guys here in Melbourne let me down and I’m not doing anything hockey related 🤨 but really he was the first person I thought of as I was looking through the alley for this Banksy piece which might be gone now thanks to some dumbass construction workers . The art in this lane won’t disappoint you and if you’re ever here make note of this place and pass by . 


Time for a drink 🥃 so we head over to the Gin Palace where we first had a nice glass of the ever elusive Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz and it was really yummy but the garnishing might have been off and then we decide to have a cocktail and I opt for a Gin Zombie which was not cheap at $33 a glass but was so yummy and did give me a good buzz . We didn’t have the best experience as we expected at the Gin Palace and maybe it’s because the other two gin joints we hit up on this trip had better service or maybe we are just spoiled but I would rather have gone to that bar called 1807 rather then spending a bundle of money here . After that we went to the Gourmet Curry Hut for some Indian food . Yes I’m back eating Indian food after last years crazy trip there where I ate curry for breakfast lunch and dinner every friggin day for weeks . What else do you eat in India you ask ? Well I tried having pasta one night and I think it had curry in it and burned like a vindaloo 🥵 the restaurant was down some alley and was quiet when we arrived but soon after got busy and it’s no wonder they have good ratings as the food was class . Mine was a bit spicy but you get what you ask for don’t ya ! My belly is full of yummy curry and my bed is calling ... time to chill out and watch a flick in bed 🛌 I think we watched The Beach that night and crashed . 









No comments:

Post a Comment