Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Adelaide ... here I come !


Let’s just say I’m falling behind on my blogging again because this is when I travel into the eye of the shitstorm 😜 Monday morning we get up and it’s time to part ways with Kathleen . We’ve had a great trip together and I couldn’t have asked for a better partner in crime over the last 5+ weeks but on this day she carries on her trip to Vancouver and I fly off to Adelaide to go to play in the Adelaide Challenge Cup tournament . And you ask why she isn’t coming with me ? Well at tournaments I spend a lot of time at the rink and then the rest of the time with a drink in my hand and for her to be at a tournament is just not a good idea as she rather not be around a bunch of drunk hockey players at an ice rink .... it’s just not her thing and we both know this as we’ve tried multiple times to find a medium but the fact in the matter is that I’m here to fully enjoy myself , play hockey and make friends . She couldn’t care about any of that and the only outcome would have us arguing so for her going to see her friend in Vancouver was probably the best idea . Both of our flights were at the same time so we took a taxi to the airport in Melbourne which was around $80 😬 and we dropped our bags but not before I had some minor bumps . My bag is overweight and my sticks are way under weight and Qantas can’t add the two bags together for a domestic flight . Good thing the fella at the oversized baggage counter was friendly enough to help me out . First he called it in and they tried saying I didn’t prepay my extra bag . Then I showed him that I can pull a bag out of my hockey bag to carry on the plane and my weight was on then ..... then he called it in again and they wouldn’t accept the bags so I had to go across the terminal to talk to someone at the service counter where I showed them my receipt for the extra bag and they tried to put the blame on the oversized handler when I know I was standing right beside him when he called it in and I heard everything . Qantas ... you’re shit ! When I returned to oversize baggage counter the guy was friendly enough to let me out that carry on bag back in the bag to send off . He was a good guy . We then went for a coffee and said our good byes and headed to our own security gates to head off to our own destinations . 


That flight was not too long for me and I had no issues and just kicked back and watched another episode of Titans on Netflix with my iPad . When I arrive I’m supposed to meet Justin Harrison as he has a ride sorted for us with some of his hockey buddies from Sydney . His flight landed 20 minutes before me and he waited . When I got my bags I messaged him and found him near the escalator I had just come down and he was with one of his mates .  Within minutes of arriving I was tapped on the shoulder by my buddy Brendan Bailey who just flew in from Perth and the airport was filling up with hockey players and bags and sticks and one by one everyone began making their way into the city . When we got to the Breakfree Hotel I claimed my room and dropped my bags and Justin and myself went over to Subway to grab a bite and catch up before deciding to make our trip cheaper by finding a Woolworths to buy some groceries for our rooms . We did stumble around a bit as I was lost and Justin was struggling with jet lag as he just arrived from USA only a couple days earlier but I still talked him into going for a pint down the road . We had two options and we chose the one without all the loud rowdies out front and we settled in with a pint and before we grabbed our second those rowdies from across the road came over to the bar we were in ... great . Now we were just minding our own business and Justin ordered a big bowl of fries and we kept to ourselves while talking hockey and other things when one of the girls with the rowdies looked over and said .... “do these glasses look good on me “ and I said no you look better at natural without them . She was happy to say she wanted advice from the two sexiest guys in the bar and I already had known she was drunk but maybe she should take those beer goggles off ... and to be honest I’m not into the Sasquatch looking types 🤮 yeah she was not appealing to my eyes but she still sat at our table and began by saying I’m not sitting here to eat your fries , as she dug into Justin’s fries . She then had an argument with one of the bar staff and then made out with some guy in a city worker outfit while a man in a shower robe walked in and he would be what I described as The Dude from The Big Lebowski  but 50 years older . Adelaide sure does first impressions well and before we left our new friend who went by the name George even though this was a female decided to make amends with the staff and we snuck off shaking our heads at the amount of crazy going on . Justin went for a nap which ended up having him out for the whole night and I went back to my room to wait for one of my room mates to show up from Japan ...Nonny ! 


Waddo from Sydney messaged me and asked if I was still drinking and I said no but I am easily persuaded to get back at ‘er ! So he took an Uber in from the trailer park his team opted to stay at and his team mates turned down the opportunity to come out ... yeah they missed out . When he arrived my plan was to tell Nonny where we would be and he could join us but when I walked down to the lobby to meet Waddo low and behold ....there was a Japanese guy mentioning my name . I yelled out don’t let this guy in my room and we hit it off immediately . He was with Steve who is a local on my Okinawa Sniperz team here . The four of us went back to my room and had a beer and then headed out to find that same bar I was at earlier and it was closed ? But it’s only like 10 pm ... wtf ? Hindley St is a ghost town compared to what it is earlier and our only option is to go to a nudey bar and yes Hindley is littered with Titty bars , sheesha joints and massage parlours which at this point I realize is not exactly the place where I would bring Kathleen but has the recipe for disaster mixed with a hockey tournament  . Nonny grabbed some Hungry Jacks and just around the corner was an alley with a few bars opened so we grabbed a seat and I hit the gin . There was a table with a bunch of younger guys and that was the rest of the patrons at this establishment and they got up and left one of their companions there and within minutes he lingered over and asked about having a cigarette as Waddo and Nonny are chain smoking away . Nonny kindly gives him one and the guy pulls up a chair to our table and slumps over as Steve and myself look at each other with that oh fuck look . What is it with people wanting to join us at our tables in this city ? He slumps over wasted and we do our best to ignore him and carry on with our conversations which included a lot of laughing . We were told it’s last call and the drunk dude says his phone is inside .... Steve says well you better grab it before it gets locked in and drunkie says that he is friends with “Debra “ and they are closer then you’d think 🤔. Now I’m assuming that “Debra” came out to give him his phone and then asked him to pay his bill and he retorts that he’s paid and she tells him she will double check and I’m thinking he’s clearly not as close to “Debra” as he thinks lol ! The ladies at this bar were friendly and told us there was another bar around the corner that is opened later and we were just starting to have fun . So we shrugged off this drunk dude and made our way around the corner for the next adventure . 


Two bars and two latch ones later we make our way into this establishment and order our next drinks and found our next latch on . No , I wish I was joking 🙃 this new friend was a millionaire that was an Olympic runner and had an Italian girlfriend that he loves .... or that is just what he’s telling us as he began his approach by saying he was scared of me but then became my best friend as he whispered weird shit to me and asked me for love advice . I must have a magnet on me for this shit ? I’m gonna call this guy Rico Suave but he was far from suave as he began talking to the three ladies at the next table and they wanted to kill him as I’m sure that his vibe sensors were wrong as I’m pretty sure they weren’t into dudes or into dudes hitting on them but he tried and they almost kicked his ass and we all shrugged our shoulders as if to say he’s not with us . Then his suave sensors took him to the next table which was another strikeout and then he opted for the big girl and at this point Steve had to leave as he works the next day .... on the way out Steve asked Rico Suave if the girl with him was the Italian girl he was in love with and the rest of us burst into laughter as this poor girl tried to get away from Rico Suave . That girl ended up at our table and Nonny loved her or at least we can say he did and she was nice enough and she was the first person to join our table that didn’t cause us any stress ... now Rico Suave wasn’t the only drunk that was at this bar and to be fair he did cop up to me and told me he was lying about all this millionaire mumbo jumbo . The bar staff at this establishment have their work cut out for them as they had to chase away some unsavoury people that I could only think were on some serious drugs like crack or something . When the bar closed we walked back to our room .... Waddo crashed on our couch as we drank some rum that Nonny brought and he snuck away to bed almost as swiftly as he snuck into women’s bathrooms at all the bars we were at earlier on hahaha ! Waddo and myself called it a night after watching a drug deal go down across the street .... what a first impression Adelaide has made ! Tomorrow night is my first game with the Okinawa Sniperz . Wish me luck  🍀 







No comments:

Post a Comment