Pages

Monday, October 16, 2017

Hockey Night in Laval



It was raining yesterday when I woke up , both myself and Kathleen need that morning coffee to get the brain working again so we embraced the rain and went to another Tim Hortons in the opposite direction along St.Catharine street and there were some interesting people out ... one of the gay dance clubs was closing I guess ? It was around 9 am and the sidewalk was littered with dudes wearing sunglasses in the rain lol ! A bit further down the road we bumped into two people randomly calling each other crazy ... I thought they would have made a good couple :) I got my Timmies and this place had herb and garlic cream cheese , even though they messed up my order it was all straightened out before I left and the day was off to an interesting start . 



After we had our coffees we chilled out in the room and made a plan of attack . We were invited to a Moroccan community event but opted to take it easy . That bagel wasn't enough and we were getting hungry and when you are in Quebec if you want good rotisserie chicken you gotta go to St.Huberts ! Went to the same location last time I was here and it has yet to disappoint me .... quarter chicken comes with fries and coleslaw and bread , very filling . Of course after we needed to walk it off .... the picture above is of me in front of a Montreal landmark ... maybe next time I will get a pic with my gear on there lol . ? Maybe I should ? 


Went to put some stuff in the car after and was very happy to see that my Leafs flag was still waving proudly off it :) yes I left this on my car all weekend and then drove around yesterday taunting every Habs fan I drive by ... I'm sure a few of those high beams were from friendly Habs fans lol ! Before going to play hockey I took a nap as I do most game days . My one and only ice time on this trip is in Laval at a beautiful old barn where Mario Lemieux played his junior hockey .... for me , this is special ! 



The drive to Laval was kinda crappy with rain and badly lit roads . Eventually we got there . I played with these guys a few years back when we came here to film my show (which never aired ) . Back then they wore Predators jerseys and old Coyotes jerseys . Now they wear Team Canada and Rangers jerseys ... same group still , older dudes that are at least 35 years old . My good buddy Adil El Farj plays with them and let me have his spot . Thanks buddy ! When we got in the room he introduced me then went home to get a towel for me (nobody I know would do this ) when he left things were quiet and the guys spoke French . I can read French but hearing it flying around the room so fast is hard to keep up with . One of the last guys in the room walks in and looks around the room for a spot to sit and I shoved over gave him a smile and said I didn't bite .... he kept looking for someone else to shift then hesitantly sat beside me . This is quite normal as the outsider . Nobody really talks to you until after the game and that's if you didn't play shit . I was in my happy place though and of course this is not something new for me . 


So this is a 3 period game with 20 minute run times so about 1.5 hours on ice . During warmup my groin felt good and I got lumbered up and then the game started . First period we went up 2-0 , made a couple decent saves then switched ends .... it seemed like that end of the ice had some bad juju because when I got there I gave up 3 goals ... so now we are down 3-2 . I wouldn't blame myself for the goals :) third period starts and as a goalie you realize that all the goals are at the same end so in your head you think you should win or if you give up the only goal at this dry end you might lose . The first goal of the 3rd period was at the other end to give us a 3-3 tie and then I gave up a goal on the dry side :( oh no ! It was off my D and just barely trickled in .... one of those slow mo goals any goalie will know what I'm talking about ... so frustrating ! A minute left in the game and I start hollering at the bench and make the mad dash for the extra attacker . We lost possession and I thought we were doomed but we recovered went down the ice and with 8 seconds left tied the match . Game ended with a 4-4 tie game ... everyone was happy and it was a good fun game . 



When we got back to the room we had a beer and guys started to open up and we're talking to me :) I passed out my Ghetto Blaster stickers and then I asked who scored the tying goal and the hesitant guy beside me puts his hand up with a big smile . I turned to him and said you see bonne chance ! What I was telling him was that my luck rubbed off on him :) after my shower I said my good byes then headed off with Adil to eat . We went to a place called Miami Deli and I had a smoked meat poutine !!! Oh the calories hahaha . Who cares right ? When you're in Montreal if you aren't stuffing your face with poutine and smoked meat then you are obviously missing out !!! Seriously 😒 .

When all was said and done we waddled out and said our good byes . Adil you are a true friend and I think it's time for you to visit us in Toronto . Don't worry we can deal with the torture lol ! Thanks for everything . I will probably come back for that tournament in May in Mt. Tremblant .... I never leave Montreal disappointed . Au Revoi

No comments:

Post a Comment