Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Penguins , Pizza , Seance !


Venting complete and back to the mission at hand as I’m sitting pool side with my gear probably stinking up the room upstairs it’s time to carry on and keep calm . Without a doubt there is a hotel employee walking into my room swearing more then I did in my last post about the awful stench coming from my gear and with that continues the cycle of The Travelling Goalie’s life 🤗 sometimes you gotta roll with the punches and yesterday morning when I woke up after drinking so much to ease the pains I had felt like I was rolling with a whole load of punches to the head .... oh my aching head . This is the worst hangover of my trip so far and I’m sure it’s gonna get worse when I get over to the tournament judging from the mass Facebook messages I was receiving the other night from one of the teams I am playing for and that’s what this is really all about .... the camraderie that comes with playing  hockey , making new friends and causing some ruckus together . That is the thing I missed out on during my stay in Melbourne and that’s what leaves the sour taste in my mouth ... you know the one that tastes like poo that I went off about earlier . Regardless I’m finally catching up on my blog posts and I’m enjoying this heat while sitting poolside on my last day here with Kathleen . 


When the hangover began to stop pounding my head it was time to hit the pool and go grab a bite to eat and I have a strong urge for some pork schnitzel as I’m channeling my inner German going into uber cool mood ...super ! I have passed this place called Schnitz many times and have had the urge to check it out so I looked it up online and it advertised as having pork schnitzel so I found a location close to the hotel and it looked like it was a nice restaurant so we walked on over and found out it was actually in a corner of this malls food court which was a bit misleading based on how the photos looked . Now as I said I wanted pork and the website advertised that they sold pork schnitzels but when we arrived there we found out they didn’t sell pork so I opted for a beef schnitzel and wouldn’t you know it they gave me a chicken schnitzel when they brought me my meal . I have never seen beef with white meat 🥩 and as our food was being dropped off I asked the server if they had any ketchup .... that will be an extra 50 cents . Ok I’ve seen this in Europe but this is the first time on this continent that I’ve heard this here . Kathleen decides she wants mayo and ketchup so she gets up and buys some which costs her $1.50 . For some reason it’s become apparent to me that pork is not a thing here in Australia .... not sure why since there is bacon everywhere . Overall I wouldn’t go back to Schnitz and it gets two thumbs down 👎 and as I was eating there I thought there is no way any of my German buddies would like this either as it is scheiss 😤


Time for a nap before my only hockey buddy here comes through to show me around . Wayne Collier is one of Melbourne’s finest even though he does admittedly talk a lot 😁 he is also disappointed with the way things are run here and I’m not gonna get too deep into this but he is definitely on a mission to make up for the lack of love shown from the hockey community here . Wayne and his wife Leah came over to pick us up around 630 pm and he drove us around for a couple hours showing us his city and we stopped in an area called Fitzroy to have some gelato 🍧 and we decided to look into a bottle shop to see if we could find this ever so elusive bottle of Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz gin that is sold out EVERYWHERE !!! They didn’t have it but suggested another shop a couple blocks away and deep in my mind I was thinking there is no way but let’s waste some time anyways and wouldn’t you know it ..... they had it ! We snatched that thing up and with glee headed back to the car and then found some gelato . After the gelato Wayne dropped us off near the Queen Victoria Market so we could go to this Seance ...yes it’s a staged seance in a shipping container and I’m not gonna ruin it for anyone but I am gonna say it was worth the $25 but it did leave me wanting more and the time allotted flew by . It definitely was spooky and there was even a woman crying after the show before us so if you’re not into being spooked out then this isn’t for you but if you are this is like hitting the jackpot . I didn’t see anyone that was disappointed when we left !


Wayne came back to pick us up and we headed over to St. Kilda which is the beach area here and that’s where the penguins come in to nest overnight . Finally I get to see wild penguins in their natural habitat unfortunately with a whole whack load of tourists that thankfully are under the watchful eye of some volunteers that make sure some idiots don’t disrupt or injure the habitat of these amazing little creatures . There were loads of penguins about and they were all about to call it a night but our night was not over yet .... we were hungry and Wayne knew this amazing pizza joint called Toppolino’s which honestly had the best pizza by far on this whole continent . Nothing even comes close to how good this was and I’m happy to say I gobbled a whole pizza to myself . It was getting late and Wayne gave us one more spin around to show us a few other things as we kept telling him he really should become a tour guide as he has a plethora of information that I highly doubt any other tour guide here has . Wayne you really made up for the others here and they should be happy to have a gentleman such as yourself making up for all their shortcomings . Thank you for showing us around and if you’re ever in Toronto let me know as I would love to return the favour . 



    







No comments:

Post a Comment